- 1.0 Executive Summary
- 1.1 Objectives
- 1.2 Mission
- change publishing, empower authors and consumers
- 1.3 Critical Success Factors
- brand identity...
efficient, friendly operations...
- 2.0 Company Summary
- 2.1 Company Ownership
- LLC? Inc.?
- 2.2 Company History
- formed in 1998
- 2.3 Products and services
- custom book-publishing service
- 2.4 Company locations and facilities
- based in San Francisco. single office.
- 3.0 Products and Services
- 3.1 Product and Service Descriptions
- Basic contract with authors:
they write and edit the books.
we print and bind their books for a per-page & per-book rate.
they retain IP rights to the material and Own Their Own Words.
we ship finished books to them or they pick them up here.
questions: what is the turnaround time? how do we catch printing errors, blank pages interposed in book, etc.? who is liable for what kinds of mistakes? which formats do we accept? what is the pricing structure?
- 3.2 Competitive Comparison
- Major publishers want all rights to the books they publish and pay small advances and small percentages. With our service, authors can retain all rights to their work and keep all the profits.
- 3.3 Sales Literature
- none yet...
- 3.4 Sourcing
hardware: printing, copying, computers
our total cost per page is roughly...___.
- 3.5 Technology
- file transfer/software/hardware. which formats do we support?
- 3.6 Future Products and Services
- 4.0 Market Analysis
- 4.1 Market Segmentation
- 4.2 Industry Analysis
- 4.2.1 Industry Participants
- 4.2.2 Distribution Patterns
- 4.2.3 Competition and Buying Patterns
- 4.2.4 Main Competitors
- not publishing (strength: cheaper and easier; weakness: nothing gets published)
mainstream publishing (strength: economy of scale; weakness: economy of scale)
photocopy chains (strength: completely flexible; weakness: labor-intensive)
- 4.3 Market Analysis
type of customer total number growth rate
- 5.0 Strategy and Implementation Summary
- 5.1 Marketing Strategy
- 5.1.1 Target Markets and Market Segments
- Target: authors who would otherwise go unpublished or sign exploitative contracts with major publishers
- 5.1.2 Pricing Strategy
- Pricing per page based on # of books?
- 5.1.3 Promotion Strategy
- online promotion
- 5.2 Sales Strategy
- repeat business & referrals?
- 5.2.1 Sales Forecast
- ___ clients in first month x $___/client =
____ clients in next six months x $___/client =
____ clients in first year x $___/client =
- 5.2.2 Sales Programs
- we are reaching out to prospective clients by...
- 5.3 Service and Support
- general support philosophy:
- 5.4 Milestones
acquisition of all necessary hardware
first completed book
first deal with booksellers
- 6.0 Management Summary
- 6.1 Organizational Structure
- 6.2 Management Team
- 6.3 Management Team Gaps
- 6.4 Personnel Plan
- 6.5 Other Management Considerations
- how much growth can current setup handle? what to do when client load exceeds production capacity?
- 7.0 Financial Plan
- 7.1 Important Assumptions
- 7.2 Key Financial Indicators
- 7.3 Break-even Analysis
- running costs = hardware, regular expenses (rent, electric, toner, binding materials, postage/shipping), personnel TOTAL = $/month.
to break even, need to sell ...
- 7.4 Projected Profit and Loss
- 7.5 Projected Cash Flow
- 7.6 Projected Balance Sheet
- SHORT-TERM ASSETS:
other short-term assets
total short-term assets
total long-term assets
DEBT AND EQUITY
other ST liabilities
subtotal short-term liabilities
paid in capital
TOTAL DEBT AND EQUITY
- 7.7 Business Ratios
- margins in industry at large and in this business...?
- financial (accountants' statement, tax forms)
press kit & sales literature
exec team resumes
detailed sales forecast, personnel/growth plan, profit/loss, cash flow, balance sheet